ADS 2

Jumat, 06 Maret 2015

Interview: Billy Campbell's Helix Quest

Billy Campbell as Dr. Alan Farragut on Helix
Billy Campbell made women swoon on “Once and Again,” he surprised us all on “The Killing,” and he has us all enthralled as Dr. Alan Farragut on the apocalyptic thriller “Helix” (which airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT on the Syfy network). As a brilliant scientist trying to figure out the source of and stop the progression of a life-threatening disease outbreak, Billy certainly has his hands full. But he made time recently to talk with me about the series, and to tease a little about what fans can expect as season two gets down and dirty.

Celebrity Extra: The premise behind “Helix” is fascinating and frightening. What was it about the show that appealed to you most?

Billy Campbell: I loved the premise. I loved the possibilities. This kind of show could be really spectacular. And I wanted to work with (executive producer) Ron Moore (who produced season one, but is now busy with Starz’s hit time-travel drama “Outlander”).

CE: And what did you think about your character, Alan Farragut?

BC: I thought I was right for the part; that’s about all I thought, really. A lot of the choices I’ve made over the years have to do with whether I can see myself in the role. It doesn’t matter how good the project is, if I don’t see myself in the role, I generally don’t go after it.

CE: How was it working with new cast members Matt Long and Steven Weber?

BC: They’re both, first of all, first-class gentlemen. They are wonderful actors. I’ve known Steven for many, many years. We first worked together in the mid-80s and then again on “Once and Again.” He’s a rake and a rogue and an imp, and I always knew he was a creepy guy inside. And now he’s had the chance to prove it. He’s one of the funniest, and now, I believe, one of the creepiest guys I’ve ever met. (Laughs.)

CE: What can you tell me about how season two will progress?

BC: I will say that I come uncomfortably close to realizing my quest. Everything about the second season ties very neatly into that story line. If you were shocked and surprised by season one, then you will be doubly shocked and surprised by season two. They really outdid themselves. I’m not sure exactly what they were smoking in the writers’ room during season two, but it sure seems like they had a great time smoking it.